As an Top Management coach I come across a great many senior managers and have become a fan of the following list of derailers found in the work of Dolitch and Cairo in their book Why CEO’s Fail:
1. Arrogance: You’re right and everybody else is wrong.
2. Melodrama: You always grab the center of attention.
3. Volatility: Your mood swings drive business swings.
4. Excessive Caution: The next decision you make may be your first.
5. Habitual Distrust: You focus on the negatives.
6. Aloofness: You disengage and disconnect.
7. Mischievousness: Rules are made to be broken.
8. Eccentricity: It’s fun to be different just for the sake of it.
9. Passive Resistance: Your silence is misinterpreted as agreement.
10. Perfectionism: Get the little things right even if the big things go wrong.
11. Eagerness to Please: Winning the popularity contest matters most.
Any of these ring a bell? Are you listening? HAI!!! CEO’S really alarming……Be good with people and learn to have feedback of yours by your people.