It can often be harder to sell a new idea to colleagues or clients than it is to develop a new concept in the first place.
There are five golden rules to follow to ensure your idea is given the attention it deserves. In summary these are:
1. Be purposeful - link the idea to an outcome or a way to eliminate a problem
2. Network it - involve key decision makers in your creative process as early as possible
3. Show don’t tell - avoid text heavy PowerPoint slides and instead use imagery or illustrations to show your idea ‘in action’
4. Timing matters – don’t rush into selling your idea if it’s still incomplete or tell a trusted critic before seeking out a wider audience
5. Protect yourself - be prepared to face some form of negativity, it’s inevitable but can be overcome