Often one of a company’s most expensive assets is its human capital, the human resources of the organization. The management of your human resources focuses on:
- Recruitment and selection of employees who can succeed at their jobs and who will stay with your organization, and
- Making sure those employees’ abilities are optimally nurtured and developed so that the company can receive an optimal return on the investment made in these employees.
Recruitment and Selection
This is particularly challenging in a global organization where one of your biggest challenges will be finding, retaining and developing a superior global workforce. ITAP knows how to identify the “success factors” of a position…which is a key to identification of superior candidates. Successful companies know what the jobs entail and seek to hire those candidates who can be more successful / effective with the lowest amount of support. Well written job descriptions, and competency models that clearly delineate success behaviors make for effective selection and hiring. Understanding cultural differences in the recruitment process, the selection of candidates and what motivates employees in various cultures is crucial to the success of global organizations.
Assimilating New Employees
In this competitive environment for attracting good global talent, companies need to pay particular attention to the perception of the company on the part of candidates and new hires. A well thought out and extensive assimilation process often makes new employees more likely to stay. This process should start before the offer is made, and many companies have assimilation plans for at least the initial six months on the job. This is especially important in group and relationship cultures as it helps the new employees feel welcomed into the group and gives them time and structure to establish relationships that will be important to the employee as well as anchor their loyalty to the company. ITAP can support your development of an effective on boarding or assimilation process.
Cultures with a preference for Certainty (prefer to know the structure/rules rather than handle ambiguity) prefer competency based performance systems. Communicating exactly what is expected and defining the levels of behaviors and assessing employees all against the same criteria feels more fair to many employees. Performance systems that depend on manager discretion can be viewed as “favoritism” and “unfair.”
Global Leadership Selection and Retention
If you know what it is that differentiates successful employees (their competency / behaviors) recruiting (external) and selecting (internal) against these competencies reduces the need for development (as you hire those who already have the needed skills) and benefits employees by recognizing those who already have the skills necessary to succeed.
The global leadership competencies required for success include:
- The flexibility to work and manage across cultures
- The ability to be the voice of the local culture to home office while being the voice of home office to the local employees
- Understanding of and ability to adapt to cultural differences as they impact business practices
If you want your global leaders to succeed and stay, ITAP can help you:
- Define the behaviors associated with the actual success factors in YOUR company
- Identify internal and external candidates who already have those success factors
- Provide accurate, reliable and detailed selection/recruitment data
- Provide detailed developmental reports
- Accurately assess and match role (job-demand) and individual (capability supply) Strategic HR.
Unless your HR professionals have a thorough knowledge of global business, what it takes to establish companies in new geographies and the needs of the local workers in country, you need the help that ITAP can give. We can be your local arm by temporarily outsourcing your start-up HR in new geographies.
Since a company’s strategy will impact its employees, you need HR support that understands the global landscape, everything from the recruitment and hiring techniques used in other countries, to the establishment of contracts, and compensation and benefits packages. ITAP’s strategic partners can support global companies in 200 countries around the world.
The development of your organization and, particularly, how you manage change impacts the success of your business. Managing change and growth across cultures and geographies requires specific knowledge of the impact of change and growth needs in particular cultures.
ITAP understands the cultural nuances of change in many cultures and can support your organization in collecting and analyzing data on work culture and employee climate surveys to assure responses are culturally appropriate. Our understanding of cross-border change initiatives can greatly reduce the usual issues created by change initiatives and address culturally specific issues relating to such cultural dimensions as Need for Certainty.
Companies that institute either small or large scale change need to attend to the needs of the employees before, during and after this process. ITAP can support the Change process throughout its life cycle.
- Facilitate the charter of change implementation teams.
- Provide consulting on employee communications.
- Design and deliver cross-cultural training for multi-cultural or virtual implementation teams.
- Provide change team leader support and data/information from assessment results.
- Provide the organization with data on the impact of the change.