Becoming a leader is difficult in itself. Hence, becoming an effective leader is a hurdling task. Aside from meeting up that qualification, there are other factors that must be considered to achieve productive results when leading a team.
Initial Leadership Process identifying the qualities that would make an effective leader is your first step towards creating a harmonious working environment among your group.
An effective leader is one that is able to analyze the situation at hand. Good leaders know when their leadership is required and when it is not. If not, then no matter how much you attempt to lead your group, then all efforts would not pay off.
Strategies towards Better Leadership Here are helpful tips that would enable you to recognize the situation your group is in:
1. Understand your group as a whole. When you have group members who resist your efforts to lead the entire group, this could drag your level of affectivity down. However, if you do have group members that support you, then you might be able to overcome this resistance hurdle that is keeping you from moving forward.
2. A good leader is one who recognizes the individual needs of your member. Is anything stopping a member from contributing to the group? Learn to openly discuss these matters with your members to assess not only how much they can contribute to the team, but also their understanding of the situation.
3. During discussions with your group members, encourage them to open up on issues that are essential to them. Do they feel neglected? Do they need some changes in the dynamics of the group? Utilize this as a venue to discuss matters that would help increase your productivity as a whole.
4. Create realistic goals. You can arrive at this by clearly discussing every aspect of your goals and objectives with the team. As you work towards your goal, never try to meddle too much with their work and trust them to perform well on it. After all, they will call your attention should they need your guidance on some matters.
5. Appreciate your team’s efforts. If you have managed to realize your goals, reward them through words of appreciation and recognition. This will motivate them to do better with the next task.
How Does One Become An Effective Leader?
Unlike common misconceptions, a leader is not someone who is perfect or someone who knows everything. One thing is common to all effective leaders: passion towards their goal and ability to adapt.
As a leader, you should evaluate your own skills and abilities. What are your strengths and weaknesses? Identifying them will enable you to make the necessary changes that will assist your development as an individual and as a leader.
The process of becoming a leader is equal to efforts of forming a holistic individual. When you give valuable feedback to your group members, do take note of their feedback on your Performance as well. That way, it is a symbiotic working relationship.
There must be an integration of strategies to becoming a leader and the proper attitude that will enable you to reach peak performance.
Author: Larry Rivera